I accepted a job offer and one year later told the Norwegian tyrant with the red face/veins bulging from his neck to fuck off when he asked me to compromise my business ethics. Three days later I was hired to work side by side with the aforementioned friend, where I have stayed happily employed for the past ten years.
I have bonded with this woman, with her children, with her family and friends. I have met her boyfriend, discovered he was cheating, hinted to her that he may be cheating, took pictures and developed photographs of him cheating, outright told her he was cheating, called the woman he cheats with to see if she was out of town at the same time he was and sadly, most pathetically, stood toe to toe with this disgusting man threatening to expose him while he laughed hysterically, hugged me and gave me an extra special kiss on my cheek for being the innocent, naive schmuck I was.
Now this post is getting harder to write. I am chewing my fingernails, which is not a habit but they are fucking lame nails, not really worth saving; nonetheless, they are vanishing with my angst. I just spotted a sliver of a nail between the H & J on my keyboard. And I am much too exhausted to give this next bit of info any kind of fluffy, literary treatment so I am surrendering to the bullet points. May they rest in peace along with my fingernails.
- This gorgeous woman that I love dearly has a sugar daddy.
- He buys her lots of jewelry, pays her bills and enjoys her blow jobs until....
- Younger woman comes along with big boobs
- He promises my girl a life with BMW's, bank accounts and boob jobs of her own, he tells me she saved his life, she is literally the force that kept him alive through his divorce (see a pattern here?)
- She has no car, no money and boobies that belong rightfully to a woman of her age. They are beautiful and sexy as hell but shit sags after 50. However, he did pay for her lipo and tummy tuck a few years back.
- He still enjoys the blow jobs - and he speaks of them with his friends who are in our industry.
- But who am I to fucking judge?
- I hate this mother fucker.
- He bailed her out of debt within the last two years by securing a loan for her. It was big debt, but she is paying it back. The stipulation was - no more spending, no more debt.
- She has now fallen behind and charged the credit cards back up at a rate exponential to her grief.
- She is hiding the new debt from him, still giving great blow jobs and still, I am quite certain, one of his greatest commodities while also simultaneously hanging on to the community chest.
But why would people give us money?
Well, you know how you always hear of rags to riches stories, someone gets tipped $10,000 - why not us? You are struggling to make ends meet, raising your kids, daddy is gone - people will want to help us.
And it was then I realized I am not a commodity or a community chest. I have big (yet saggy) boobs and I can give a helluva blow job but I earned my self respect through years of fucking up. The thought of money is not enough at the age of 47 to rock me off my Gibraltar.
So I said in the most loving, girlfriend kind of way - sweetie, I am not comfortable with that. But if you would like me to sit down and look at your financial situation, you know I am always available.
Today, we had lunch and I gave her a good Suze Orman smack down. "Sell all of that expensive jewelry and clothing, stop paying $200 per month for your smokes, write down everything you spend and take a good hard look at what you can cut".
She said she is currently in the hole and must charge groceries, gas and utilities each month just to get by. She wants her current sugar daddy or someone else to come along and bale her out but I told her a woman with a nice home, great car, expensive jewelry and wardrobe would probably not qualify as a charity. Are you still getting your hair done every three weeks for over $150.00? Are you still supporting your children who are of working age, able to take care of themselves? And are you fucking kidding me that you will spend $200.00 per month on cheap cigars that will end up costing you ten times that amount with credit card interest?
She said she can't give up the cigars because she is working on the shopping and alcohol addictions first. Plus, the asshole bought all of her jewelry so she can't sell it as long as she is with him. (Just go ahead and infer what I was thinking here.)
I have always been after her to stop smoking but in an ironic twist, I became more concerned with her financial health than her physical health when I weighed out which would kill her first. Yes, I want you to live to see your grandchildren grow up but for the sake of all that is holy, set a fucking goal and put down those nasty ass cigars. Then I remembered I cannot change her, help her, or even inspire the tiniest flicker of hope in her mind unless she is ready. And clearly she is not.
Now here's the rub. She is happy; carrying a perpetual smile. Always thinking on the sunny side of life, hugging me from behind unexpectedly and loving me with a gleam in her eye that is the real deal. She sees me as a negative Nelly who tells her the ugly truth but she loves me in a way that few are loved.
On the other hand, I struggle. I want my kids to have everything they were used to before their dad went away. I would love to take vacations, and pay for swim lessons and camping trips and the latest fashions but we have to be conservative in order to survive. (For those that are catching up, it's not because I'm missing a child support payment, it's because he owes me for his half of joint expenses to the tune of $16,000 then denied any responsibility for his share of their expenses while he serves his prison term, leaving me to cover all costs for the next two and a half years.)
Who wins, who loses and who looks down and realizes they have no fingernails left at all?
That would be me.